Published On: Tue, Feb 26th, 2013

As World Powers Talk, USA Threatens June War with Iran

Faceless.me VPN

Diplomats from six world powers met with Iranian representative in Kazakhstan today, for the first day of talks on Iran’s nuclear programme. Both sides claim to have come to the meeting with new offers, and western diplomats have described the initial negotiations as “useful”. But in the background news has emerged that the United States of America is considering military action against Iran from June if the talks fail to produce results.

Kazakhstan Nuclear Negotiations

Britain, France, Germany, the US, Russia and China – the so-called E3+3 – met with representatives of Iran for talks which will continue into a second day on Wednesday.

Western diplomats arrived in Kazakhstan with what they claim is a significant new proposal – to allow Iran to resume trade in gold and other metals, and to lift restrictions on some banking activities which have been hit by sanctions. In return they say Iran would have to halt uranium enrichment  to 20% (which western leaders suspect to be part of a weapons fear could be used for nuclear weapons) and close down the Fordo plant where this activity is currently conducted.

Iran has also come to the table with a new offer – they are willing to consider halting the 20% enrichment, if all international sanctions are dropped. They have also said, however, that “there is no question” that they would consider closing the Fordow plant.

Although there is still a wide gulf between the two positions, and it is not at all clear what any middle ground could look like, this is the closest that the two sides have come to genuine compromise in a long time.

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton expressed her optimism that a positive outcome could be reached: “we see progress by the end of the meeting”. She also warned, however, that there would be no grand deal: “It’s clear that no one expects everyone to walk out of here in Almaty with a done deal. This is a negotiating process,” she said.

Windows of Opportunity

While negotiators in Kazakhstan warn that the window of opportunity for a diplomatic solution is running out, The Times of Israel has reported that President Obama intends to use a visit to Israel next month to tell Prime Minister Netanyahu that a window of opportunity for a military strike against Iran will open in June, if the current talks fail.

On Monday Israeli television reported that the USA will tell Israel that it should stay on the side-lines, keeping a low profile while the US attacks Iranian nuclear facilities.

The June deadline for progress in negotiations was set by President Obama last year in the run up to US elections.

Also on Monday, the newly appointed US Secretary of State John Kerry warned that time is running out for a diplomatic solution.

“The window for a diplomatic solution simply cannot by definition remain open forever. But it is open today. It is open now. There is still time but there is only time if Iran makes the decision to come to the table and negotiate in good faith,” he said, adding that  “We are prepared to negotiate in good faith, in mutual respect, in an effort to avoid whatever terrible consequences could follow failure.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

About the Author

- Dean Walsh is the owner and editor of World News Curator. He also owns and runs Ourly News and a range of other online publications.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>